Sunday, March 15, 2015

Portland Shamrock 15k

Official: 1:12:16
Pace: 7:46

* F40-44 division place: 16/467

This race has been a favorite since I began running races.  Sure, some are serious and racing but overall there's such a party, festive vibe to this race.  If you don't dress up, you feel kind of silly.  And I love that there is a race for anyone and everyone.  With 35,000 participants, it's also a very large race but you never feel squished because there are so many different race options and pace groups.  I love this race!

The 15k challenge is also one of my favorite races, ever.  It's a tough course but that's what is so great about it.  When you crest the Terwilliger hill you feel like a million bucks.  Before the race this year I met some friends at a Starbucks downtown.  A girl standing near us told us it's all downtown after the bagpipes.  I hadn't made that connection before (I always think "down hill after Chart House") but smiled during the race when I heard the bagpipes as I came around the last dip and curve in the road before reaching the Chart House.

A friend asked me the day before what I planned to do for this race.  She was trying to figure out what pace she and her husband would do.  This was their first Shamrock 15k.  My response, "Something like 7:30s on the flats, slower for the hills, and then bring it home with everything I have left."  And that's exactly what I did.

I mentally break the 15k down into three sections.  The first 3 miles are around downtown and get you across Burnside.  Once across Burnside, you start to climb Broadway but it's still fine until around Pioneer Square.  I wanted to do this first part in under 23:00.  The second part is the hilly section.  It pretty much feels like you are climbing from Burnside to the Chart House. There are some relief blocks and the top of Terwilliger is more rolling than climbing, but the hills do feel endless.  I figured 25:00 for this section.  Right after the Chart House, you pass Mile 6.  I was under 48:00 so I knew I was looking at a new PR with the downhill finish and if I could maintain a good pace.  I have to say though, I'm not great at downhills.  In fact, I tend to "brake" which causes my pace to slow and allows others to pass me.  And some of the downhill areas are fairly steep.  Once it started to flatten out again at Naito Parkway, I decided to step up the pace to something I could maintain.  I crossed the finish feeling very strong.  

My official time was 1.5 minutes faster than last year.  A 7:46 pace is what I ran the Roaring River HM in just a few weeks ago so to run that pace with these hills felt awesome.  Who knows what I might have done if the course had been more flat!

Weather: WET.  I waited 10 minutes before getting into the corrals because I was wearing a cotton t-shirt and thought it best to stay dry as long as possible.  I was soaked by the time the race began.  It poured most of the race but did start to let up toward the end.  Still raining, but not quite so heavy.  A little wind south of Burnside (always!) and some really large puddles that you just had to plow through.  I don't know how I didn't chafe!

In all, a favorite that will continue to be a favorite!


2 comments:

Kelly(M&M) said...

So awesome!! Love this!

Kelly(M&M) said...

Love that you added the report now. It does sound like a fun race and I love your description. Feels like I was there. You continue to amaze me! Glad you were feeling strong at the finish!