Tuesday, July 18, 2006

My sub-5 minute mile!

So what if I wasn't running this sub-5 minute mile!?

I had planned to go out for a short run this morning with the jogger. I had everything ready to go only to find the jogger seat full of water. A sippy cup sat in the seat, leaking all night long. Not wanting to sit the baby in a pool of water and really wanting to get some exercise this morning, we went for a bike ride.

This morning's ride was only 8 miles, but took us all over the neighborhood and several miles were on the local rails-to-trails path along the river. On that path, there are mile markers every half a mile so I decided to time myself. With the Seattle to Portland Bicycle Classic last weekend (we saw some cyclists finishing Saturday evening -- 200 miles in 10 hours!) and the Tour de France going on, I wanted to see how *fast* I could pedal a mile.

So I timed myself and my one mile was cycled in under 5 minutes. Granted, I was on a mountain bike and pulling a 2-seater Burley with my 27+ pound baby riding along. But maybe 5 minutes is okay. It surely sounds fast.

However, those STP riders we saw finishing in 10 hours were averaging 20mph or 3 minute miles. That's a pretty good clip and to sustain that for such a long period? Amazing. I also can't help thinking that some people actually run one mile faster than I can bike it. Wow. I think my neighbor down the street is one of them and maybe J.P.'s spouse. Yowzers.

No comments: