Friday, July 14, 2006

recovery run

Last week I ran a half marathon on July 4th and the next day went out for a short 3.25 miles with one of my dogs. It's called a recovery run. They are meant to be shorter in distance, slower in speed and they provide a great stretch following a big effort. I felt amazing on this recovery run. Every part of my body felt really strong and I felt like I could run forever. It was the first time I had run the day following a race, but definitely something I will do again.

This morning's run was also a recovery run of sorts, but not the same as last week. This morning's run was 2 miles and felt very slow. It was work. This recovery run though wasn't the day following a big running effort. Instead, it was the day after a bike ride so I'm not sure if that's really a recovery run. Different muscles and all, you know?

I took my 14mo son out yesterday afternoon for a 10 mile bike ride. I hadn't pulled the bicycle trailer before and it really wasn't bad except for hills. One climb in particular was pretty steep. In fact, the ADA signage posted at the bottom of the hill indicated the grade to be greater than 12%. Gears were shifting and my heart was pumping, but I pulled him up that hill. That was work in the 2:30pm sun.

Using those different muscles yesterday made the run this morning tough and it was only a 10 mile ride! This weekend is the Seattle to Portland Bicycle Classic. Two hundred miles. On a bicycle. I've known people who've done it in the past and my neighbor is riding it this year. Two hundred miles. On a bicycle. Color me impressed.

2 comments:

jknadpost06 said...

Comprehensive resources for those looking for recovery from addiction.

Anonymous said...

What was that? It was boring to read....
-----------------------
tulsi
Problem With Drugs or Alcohol? This Drug Rehab has Helped Thousands of Individuals to Recover.
http://www.drugrehabcenter.com