Sunday, August 27, 2006

Hood to Coast

The annual Hood to Coast relay was this weekend. It is the largest relay in North America and the 12 person teams cover a total of 197 miles. Each member runs 3 legs of the race which range from 3+ to almost 8 miles. It kicks off Friday morning atop Mt. Hood and finshes Saturday in Seaside, Oregon.

Friday night we stood at a nearby park to cheer on the runners. I realized then that it was my first time actually cheering for runners and not being somehow involved in the running. Kind of a cool experience. My 15mo clapped, blew kisses and waved at the runners. One guy even stopped to give him a "high five". It was fun but I stood there feeling envious of all these runners and not being a part of it myself.

However, when I crawled into bed that night I was glad to not be on some gravel road in the dark running by myself or trying to catch a few zzzzs while traveling down the road in a van full of sweaty, smelly people... Maybe next year.

2 comments:

Kelly(M&M) said...

Hey Cherl,

We might try to put together another team for next year, would you be interested? Also, you should come run the Best Dam Run on September 23rd. It is a 10k in Estacata and an awesome course for a PR. It is slight downhill almost the whole way!! I would love to meet up with you again, and maybe we can find you in time to run together this time!! Take care,

M&M

cherl said...

Probably not the Best Dam Run, but would I be interested in running Hood to Coast next year...?? Yes!