Sunday, February 12, 2006

final long run

Today I ran my final long run. For the next three weeks, I will be tapering in preparation for the marathon.

This morning's run was a long and painful 22 miles. I felt great the first two hours but then I started feeling really sick to my stomach. I seriously considered calling home for a ride which I hadn't done before. I thought I might vomit so I walked for a few blocks and that helped, at least temporarily. I managed to pull it together mentally (after all, this was the last of my long runs) and finished my run. It's been a few hours since I finished, but I still feel a little sick. It wasn't the best of my runs and the pace was slower than I would have liked, but I got it done and can now enjoy some lower mileage weeks.

Today's run was completed in 3:42:40. I'm certainly not going to win any awards at that pace, but it's all about the journey and not the destination, right? Four weeks ago I ran 20 miles at a 9:30 min. mile pace so I know I'm capable of having a much better run. I'm hoping the excitement of the marathon will also push my time. My (realistic) goal at Napa is 4:20. Of course, I have a secret goal to finish faster than that but we'll see how the day plays out.

Let the taper begin!

No comments: