Friday, February 24, 2006

a marathoner's badge of honor?

I've heard if you haven't lost a toenail due to running, you aren't running enough. I've also heard you aren't really a runner until you lose one.

For the past two weeks, my left foot's big toe has been sore. Any and all pressure applied to the nail is painful. It doesn't hurt while running or walking, but hurts when I press on it with my shoes off. I've kept all my toenails really short these last few months and my shoes are a good fit with ample room in the toe box, but it seems to be inevitable after miles and miles of running.

I removed the dark nail polish this evening to find a discolored toenail. It isn't black, but more of a red-purple sort of color. M lost one on his big toe after running his first marathon. It grew back, but it isn't the same. He thinks there is a blister under my toenail and it will definitely fall off at some point. Ugh, I'm definitely not looking forward to that.

I had planned to have a pedicure after the marathon, but now I'm not so sure that's a good idea. The toenail is definitely lifting and I wouldn't want it to become infected. I just hope it hangs on until after the summer sandal season.

No comments: